Thursday, 10 May 2012

Stocks to Watch Southern Steel, Sunway, TRC Synergy, Malayan Flour Mills, KKB Engineering, Sime Darby, MMHE

KUALA LUMPUR (May 10): Investor sentiment at Bursa Malaysia on Thursday may remain weak in line with the gloomy sentiment at most global markets, as political uncertainties in Greece and the rising costs of fixing Spain's banks ignited worries that the eurozone's debt crisis was worsening.

The concerns over Europe added to worries about the impact of softer growth in the US on the global economic outlook, causing a broad retreat from risky assets with world shares falling, oil prices down for a sixth straight session and the commodity-linked Australian dollar hitting new lows, according to Reuters.

The market's immediate attention was on Athens where efforts to form a government were expected to fail, putting its ability to meet the terms of its bailout deal in doubt and raising the possibility of Greece being forced out of the euro, it said.

Among the stocks that could be in focus on Thursday are SOUTHERN STEEL BHD [], Sunway Bhd, TRC SYNERGY BHD [], MALAYAN FLOUR MILLS BHD [], KKB ENGINEERING BHD [], SIME DARBY BHD [] and Malaysia Marine and Heavy Engineering Holdings Bhd (MMHE).

Southern Steel has entered into a joint venture (JV) agreement with Belgium-based NV Bekaert SA (NV BK) to form a JV company in Singapore to manufacture specified steel wires in the Asean region. It said in a filing on on Wednesday that it would hold 45% in the JV, with NV BK holding the remaining 55%.

Sunway Bhd's unit Sunway CONSTRUCTION [] Sdn Bhd and TRC Synergy Bhd's subsidiary Trans Resources Corporation Sdn Bhd were among the companies that secured four additional construction packages worth RM3.22 billion for the Sungai Buloh-Kajang MRT.

Sunway Construction was awarded package V4 worth RM1.17 billion, for works between Section 17, Petaling Jaya and the Semantan Portal, while Trans Resources was awarded the Depot package worth RM458.98 million for works related to the Sungai Buloh depot in an open tender category.

Malayan Flour Mills is allocating some RM120 million to expand its flour factory and poultry operations in Malaysia over the next two years. Managing director Teh Wee Chye said the capital expenditure will be financed with the firm's internal funds and bank loans. It has also earmarked US$15 million (RM46.05 million) to expand its two flour factories in Vietnam, he said.

KKB Engineering's net profit for the first quarter ended Mar 31, 2012 fell 60.82% to RM7.71 million from RM19.68 million a year ago, due to the completion of major projects in 2011 and the absence of new projects for both its construction and steel fabrication divisions.

Sime Darby Property and CapitaMalls Asia Ltd will jointly develop a RM500 million shopping mall in Taman Melawati in the Klang Valley. In a joint statement Wednesday, the two companies said they had entered into a conditional agreement to form a 50:50 joint venture to develop the mall on a freehold site in Taman Melawati.

MMHE's net profit for the first quarter ended Mar 31, 2012 fell 39.16% to RM78.27 million from RM128.64 million a year ago, due to the completion of contracts under its engineering and construction arm as well as its marine conversion and repair arm.

Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or for more details.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...