Friday, 9 December 2011

Decision on Proton’s future soon

Khazanah Nasional Bhd will decide by this month on selling its 43 per cent stake in national car maker Proton Holdings Bhd, people who were invited to participate in the bidding process said.


Khazanah had stressed that one of the core conditions for the bid to be accepted was that the party must buy the entire block, they added.

“There is no such thing as buying a partial block in order not to trigger a general offer,” said one of at least two people who are involved directly in the bidding process.

Buying the whole block from the state investment
firm will trigger a general offer. The bids placed were between RM6 and RM7 a share.

Business Times understands that of the initial four bidders, only two have been shortlisted for the sale.

They are key shareholders of the Naza Group and Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Al Bukhary’s DRB-HICOM Bhd.

Naza and Syed Mokhtar are at loggerheads again, almost seven years after they squared off, ironically for a controlling stake in DRB-HICOM.

“It looks like Syed Mokhtar will emerge the winner again as the DRB-HICOM bid is very competitive and also because of the Volkswagen AG element,” said a source.

Proton, which owns sports car maker Lotus Group International Ltd, has been on the lookout for a strategic partner to help compete with bigger global automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp, Volkswagen and Honda Motor Co.

DRB-HICOM has a collaboration agreement with Volkswagen to locally assemble VW cars in Pekan, Pahang.

The VW cars assembled there are likely to be priced close to the top range Proton models, which currently sell at above the RM100,000 mark.

This could put pressure on the national car maker’s production capacity at its Tanjung Malim plant, which has an installed capacity of 150,000 units a year.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.

Fernandes: AirAsia has succession plan in place

Fernandes had hinted at a possible retirement earlier in the day, speaking of a time when new talent will come in to lead the low-cost carrier.


AIRASIA Bhd already has a succession plan in place for top management, according to its chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes.

"Every company has a succession plan. We are also grooming people," he said.

Fernandes had hinted at a possible retirement earlier in the day, speaking of a time when new talent will come in to lead the low-cost carrier.

The airline, however, came out with a statement later in the evening to deny that Fernandes had plans to leave the airline.

"Tan Sri Dr Tony Fernandes' statement was made only in reference to his aspiration and expectation of the quality of his successor, should he decide to retire in the future.

"However, our group CEO does not have any plans to relinquish his leadership of the company any time soon as suggested by the article," it said.

Fernandes was speaking at the cake-cutting ceremony to celebrate the carrier's 10th year in business.

"In 10 years' time, I think there will be a new CEO. I think, my time is coming to an end soon," he said, speaking to reporters after the ceremony.

On the airline's tiff with airport operator Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd recently, Fernandes said he was positive they would be able to move forward.

AirAsia had appointed negotiators for the Service Level Agree-ment (SLA) talks it wants to have with MAHB.

Fernandes said the airline hopes to strike a long-term agreement for all the airports it operates from in Malaysia.

Meanwhile, Fernandes said he is optimistic about the MAS recovery plan announced on Wednesday. This is despite despairing comments from analysts on the business plan.

"Ahmad Jauhari (MAS CEO) is a great leader. Obviously the press and everyone are a bit tired, there's been so many turnaround plans, but rather than talk too much ... let him deliver," he said.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.

Kencana wins RM1b fabrication contract

Kuala Lumpur: Kencana Petroleum Bhd has bagged a RM1 billion contract to help build a liquefied natural gas (LNG) processing facility in Australia.

The fabrication contract was awarded by United States-based Bechtel International Inc, Kencana said in a statement yesterday.

Fabrication work of the plant’s structures and components would be carried out at Kencana’s fabrication yard in Lumut, it added.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.

Bumi Armada secures RM1.08b long-term loan

Bumi Armada Bhd, an offshore field services provider, has secured a RM1.08 billion loan from seven local and international banks.


The money will be used to finance costs related to the conversion and installation of its floating, production, storage and offload (FPSO) vessel called Armada TGT 1.

The vessel has been deployed to operate in the Te Giac Trang field offshore Vietnam.

Bumi Armada, via its subsidiary Armada TGT Ltd, yesterday signed a long-term loan agreement with the seven banks.

They are Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corp, CIMB Bank Bhd, ING Bank NV, Maybank Investment Bank Bhd, OCBC Bank (Malaysia) Bhd, RHB Investment Bank Bhd and the Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd.

Bumi Armada chief executive officer Hassan Assad Basma said the financing underpins its ability to deliver major projects during the current uncertainties in the global economy.

Armada TGT 1 was completed on schedule and achieved first oil on August 22 2011, with final acceptance received on November 30.

The vessel is operating in Block 16-1 of the Te Giac Trang field, offshore Vietnam, for Hoang Long Joint Operating Company.

On why the loan deal was only signed now although the vessel was completed and delivered to the client for some time, Bumi Armada chief financial officer Shaharul Rezza Hassan said as stated in its prospectus for listing, the company has a lot of short-term loans that it has to repay within one year.

"We have effectively used these bridging loans and now we are going for a long-term financing for seven years. This proved to be cost-efffective," he said.

Bumi Armada serves clients in over 10 countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America.

It provides offshore services via four main business units and two support units.

The main business units are the FPSO, offshore support vessels (OSVs), transport and installation, and oilfield services.

They are complemented by two support units which are fleet management services and engineering, procurement and construction.

With over 40 OSVs, three FPSOs in operation (and two more under conversion) and a derrick pipe-lay barge, Bumi Armada is the largest OSV owner operator in Malaysia and the sixth largest FPSO operator in the world.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.

MAS turnaround plan fails to excite analysts

There are many issues to sort out within one year and it will take time to turn around the fortunes of the ailing national carrier, says HwangDBS Vickers.

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Airline System Bhd's (MAS) business turnaround plan does not excite most analysts as it failed to address some key issues.

"There are many issues to sort out within one year and it will take time to turn around the fortunes of the ailing national carrier," HwangDBS Vickers Research said in a report yesterday.

HwangDBS Vickers has downgraded its recommendation on MAS to "fully valued" from "hold" previously.

It also lowered its target price to RM1.10, from RM1.35 earlier.

The national carrier, which posted a net loss of RM1.25 billion for the nine-months ended September 30 and foresees further losses this quarter, expects to be profitable again by 2013 with a series of cost-cutting measures.

It expects a net loss of about RM165 million next year.

MAS said the cost-cutting measures can help generate between RM1.12 and RM1.51 billion cash through several measures. They include suspending unprofitable routes early next year and spinning off some ancillary businesses such as cargo and ground services.

"Overall, the business plan was not a surprise as most of the initiatives outlined were mentioned during the recent quarterly result briefing," said an analyst from a local brokerage.

While it is seeking a strategic partner to help expand its profitable maintenance and repair business, MAS is also looking to launch a new premium airline by the second half of next year.

The new carrier will link Malaysia with Asean , South Asia and Greater China.

It also has started talking to AirAsia Bhd on joint procurement and operation consolidation initiatives.

Although these proposed initiatives could help MAS cut cost and return to profitability, analysts stressed that execution of the plan remains a key challenge.

They said one of the issues the MAS management did not discuss was how it plans to solve the issue of over-employment.

The management did not hint if it will reduce its workforce, they added.

Some analysts are doubtful if the cost-saving goals could be met without reducing staff strength.

"We felt that MAS is attempting to effect a painless restructuring (without headcount reduction, for instance) according to its business turnaround plan revealed yesterday.

"We doubt if this could produce the targeted results, i.e. RM1.2 billion-1.5 billion positive swing in performance from a RM1.2 billion net loss projected by analysts in FY11 to a mere RM165 million net loss to a RM238 million net profit in FY12," RHB Research said.

The firm has an "underperform" recommendation and a RM1.04 target price on MAS.

So far this year, MAS share price has fallen by more than one third. It closed 10 sen lower at RM1.34 yesterday.

Analysts in general remained negative on the stock, with more than 60 per cent placing a "sell" call.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.

AirAsia: Overseas flight check-in fee waived

SEPANG: AirAsia Bhd has abolished a controversial check-in counter fee for international flights.

AirAsia chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes made the announcement yesterday during a press meet in conjunction with the airline's 10th anniversary celebration.

"In light of the increase in airport tax, we won't charge for check-in (via counter), we'll keep it for domestic but won't charge for overseas," Fernandes said.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.

CIMB Group not keen to buy Phatra, says source

KUALA LUMPUR: CIMB Group Holdings Bhd is not looking to buy Thailand's Phatra Securities, sources said, culling rumours of its purported interest.

One of the sources said the banking group, Malaysia's second largest, had indeed eyed Phatra, one of Thailand's top three brokers, some time ago but then decided to go with the smaller Sicco Securities.

"It was too expensive," the source added.

CIMB in September announced plans to buy 70 per cent of Sicco for about 767.9 million baht in a bid to have a stronger share of the Thai securities market.

The share price of CIMB's banking subsidiary in Thailand, CIMB Thai Bank, has risen sharply on heavy volumes in the last four trading days to Wednesday on rumours of the group's interest in Phatra.

The interest prompted OSK Research to put out a report yesterday, saying such an acquisition, if true, was "synergistic" and would propel CIMB to become Thailand's second largest broker with a market share of 7.7 per cent.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.

Stocks to watch: S P Setia, Kencana, Boustead, Benalec

KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 9): The FBM KLCI could trade in a tight range on Friday, as the focus turns on the economic data from China over the next two days as well as the crucial summit of European policymakers.

Global markets, however, could edge upwards as the European Central Bank cut interest rates by a quarter of a point on Thursday to counter the twin threats of recession and deflation in the euro zone.

The ECB is also expected to unveil fresh measures to help banks hurt by the bloc's debt crisis, according to Reuters.

At Bursa Malaysia, the market could be given a boost from the slew of fresh corporate announcements.

Among the stocks are S P Setia Bhd, KENCANA PETROLEUM BHD [], BOUSTEAD HOLDINGS BHD [], Benalec Holdings, Bumi Armada Bhd and MELEWAR INDUSTRIAL GROUP BHD [].

S P Setia Bhd set a set a new full-year sales record in FY 2011 of RM3.29 billion, or a 42% increase from the previous record of RM2.31 billion set in FY 2010. The company has also set a target to achieve total new sales of RM4 billion in FY 2012.

For the financial year ended Oct 31, S P Setia’s net profit rose 30.2% to RM327.97 million from RM251.81 million, on the back of an increase in revenue to RM2.23 billion from RM1.75 billion in 2010.

However, the offer price cap set by Permodalan Nasional Bhd (PNB) in its takeover bid could restrain any upside. PNB offered RM3.90 per share and 91 sen per warrant.

Kencana’s unit, Kencana HL Sdn Bhd, secured a RM1 billion contract from Bechtel International Inc to fabricate and assemble a liquefied natural gas (LNG) processing plant in Australia.

The contract includes fabrication to loading of process equipment modules for Wheatstone Project LNG plant at Ashburton North, Western Australia.

Boustead subsidiary, Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd secured a RM62 million job from the government to supply spare parts, maintenance, integrated logistic support and training for the 17th patrol vessel squadron of the Malaysian navy.

Benalec inked a MoU with Singapore-based Rotary Engineering Ltd to jointly develop an independent deepwater storage terminal for oil products in Tanjung Piai, Johor. The MoU would enable it to become a strategic business partner with Rotary in the equity ownership and development of the terminal in Tanjung Piai.

Bumi Armada's subsidiary Armada TGT Ltd has inked a US$341.1 million (RM 1.08 billion) loan with seven financial institutions to fund the conversion and installation of the FPSO Armada TGT 1 to be used in the Te Giac Tran Field, offshore Vietnam.

Its chief financial officer Shaharul Rezza Hassan said the facility was for seven years and represented about 80% of its capex value.

Meanwhile, Melewar’s unit Melewar Integrated Engineering Sdn Bhd (MIE) has inked an MoU with KAZMY Steel Company wherein MIE would be the contractor to design and build the MycroSmelt plant in Almaty, Kazakhstan.



Get your T+10 interest FREE margin trading account NOW. Attractive brokerage for online trading. Contact Mr Ho at +603-5192 0808 or hoxian@sjsec.com.my for more details.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...